Professor Emeritus, Human Performance Technology
Phone: (812) 856-8457
See also: Professor Davies's homepage
- B.A., M.A., University of Birmingham, UK
- M.Sc., University of Illinois, USA
- P.G.C.E., Ph.D. in Psychology, University of Nottingham, UK
- C.Psychol., F.C.P., F.B.Ps.S.
- Served in the Royal Air Force, attaining the rank of Wing Commander (Lt. Colonel).
- Fellowship of the British Psychological Society (F.B.Ps.S.), 1982
- Ronald H. Anderson Memorial Award by the American Society of Training and Development, 1992
- Worked on five continents for major international corporations including General Electric (across all twelve businesses), Shell International, AT&T, Allied Signal, Bayer, Eli Lilly, People’s Bank of China, Reliability Center, Syncrude, Digital Equipment Corporation, International Paper Company, Hoechst Celanese, Banc One, Whirlpool, National Westminster Bank, Coutts & Co., CMHC Systems Software, Saudi Aramco, Xienel Industries etc., as well as for a number of developing countries in Eastern Europe, Africa, the Middle East & South East Asia.
- Carried out a major needs analysis of AT&T’s quality education needs, designed the methodology for a cultural change strategy for Whirlpool.
- Assisted the city of Jeddah develop a strategy for the economic development of the emirate.
- Led a two and a half year project charged with developing a national strategic plan which would better align the economic base of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with the market forces at work in the larger globalized environment.
Research InterestsCognitive psychology:- strategic thinking; representation & process; competencies & competitive advantage; perception & action; human error & cognition.
As an industrial psychologist, I am especially interested in the nature of cultural, organizational & paradigmatic change, the area of human reliability, human error, and strategic thinking at both corporate and strategic business unit levels. For many years, I have worked in product planning, marketing & industrial sales, sometimes engaged in research and frequently as a member of a project or development team. My particular expertise lies in identifying through competency modeling those few competencies that make for excellence and quality in human performance, and then helping people and organizations to change so that they exhibit superior performance. I am also interested in tracking the effectiveness of corporate education & training programs, by studying their impact on job performance, productivity & market share.